In recent years you may have heard of Search Engine Optimization (SEO). In recent months you may have head of Social Media Optimization (SMO). As wireless and mobile media grow in use and popularity you will start to hear more about Mobile Media Optimization (MMO).
The purpose of Mobile Media Optimization (MMO) is to modify digital content so it is more visible & higher ranking in mobile media and mobile media search results as well as easier to tag, share, link to and republish.
Here are 6 Rules of Mobile Media Optimization (MMO)
- Put your best content first - Include your most important concepts phrases and keywords within the first 20 words (including title)
- Optimize for short keyword phrases - Since it takes longer to type on a mobile device, mobile users often search for shorter phrases — so optimize your mobile site for 1 to 2 word keyphrases.
- Make mobile content bite sized - A good rule of thumb for editing text from print for use on the web is to cut it in half. Similarly, when moving/editing content from web to mobile media, try cutting it down in length or duration by at least 50%
- Make mobile content tagging and bookmarking easy - Encourage and enable your mobile content users to tag and bookmark your content with the most popular social mobile media sites and tools. Add mobile bookmarking and tagging links and widgets to every page of your mobile site.
- Make mobile content sharing easy - Ensure you have send to a friend and forwarding options enabled for all of your mobile content
- Make mobile content repurposing easy - Encourage your users to use your mobile content (mocontent) for their own mobile websites (mosite) or mobile blogs (moblog) mobile applications (moapp) and in any combination of the above (mobile mashups: momash)
With mobile search still in its infancy, mobile marketing strategies and best practices are still being written. What other rules of mobile media optimization would you suggest are key to a successful mobile marketing campaign?